Go for a Moroccan theme: dress your table and atmosphere for the occasion.
Moroccan Beef & Butternut Squash Tagine
2 teas Paprika
1 tea cinnamon
¾ tea salt
½ tea crushed red pepper
¼ tea freshly ground black pepper
1 1 Lb beef shoulder roast, or (pot roast, if you can slow cook it for at least 4 hrs), cut into one inch cubes
1 Tbl olive oil
4 shallots, quartered
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ C low sodium &, or fat-free chicken broth or (use 1 C, if you slow cook for at least 4 hrs)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained or (use 2 cans, if you slow cook for at least 4 hrs)
3 C’s, (about 1 Lb), (1-inch cubed) peeled butternut squash, I keep two halves to make a squash bowl (I use the circular end and keep it whole, just cutting it in half).
¼ C chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add Beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef & shallots; cook 4 min’s or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 min, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in broth & tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 min’s. [*note: if you used the cheaper cut of meat, like pot roast, cover w lid, reduce heat to simmer, cook slowly for at least 4 hrs. You have doubled the liquid so that it will not cook dry, the liquid will slowly cook down.]
4. Add squash; cover, (reduce heat if cooking the quick way), and simmer 15 min’s until squash is tender. Sprinkle w cilantro.
5. Serve w a crusty bread. I place in bowl that has a festive clothe draped over.